Monday, August 28, 2006

Iowa Ennui is bored.

From Iowa Ennui tonight:

Writing a blog is similar to an overly long season of little league where the players and parents, except Super Jock Dad, want it to end. But it keeps going on and on, providing ever more opportunity for parents to deep end with embarrassing displays of unfulfilled childhood ego needs.

I suppose that’s a long way of explaining how I feel about this project; it was fun, but now I’m showing up out of some odd sense of obligation. Funny, nobody really misses this stuff, so it’s hard to figure out to whom I feel so obligated.


Seeing comments like that from one of the first bloggers I started reading makes me think about all the bloggers who have quit since I started.

State 29 has been here and gone and kinda back and then gone and back again. It's kinda like A Hobbit's Tale with some hesitation in the middle.

I miss Bacon's blog all the time. I also miss Midwest Mesopotamia, both of the bloggers I know personally but won't name who gave up their blogs for work, PatriotSkullFace, Bob Again, and others. In most cases, they said something like this about feeling "obligated" to blog before they left.

I guess this would be a good time for me to tell you that I'm not going anywhere. I can't imagine giving up blogging. I will admit I probably have it easier than most: I have a job where it's not a problem if I blog at work, and at home my computer is in my living room, so if I decide to come post while I'm watching TV at night, I'm three steps from internet access.

Maybe my ego is just a little bigger than most, but I love having this venue to tell people what I think on a moment's notice, edit-free, and get instant feedback from anyone who wishes to praise, criticize, or do anything else with it. In a world and a state where our media seems to under-cover everything but scandals and our politicians are hiding in the corner and hoping no one will ask a hard question, I like being the honest and unfiltered guy, and having the capability to be unmerciful when it's called for.

Anyway, it appears I've proven my own point about my ego, I didn't intend for this post to be about me and now I'm writing about myself.

To get to my point, I guess I feel like I read posts every so often from friends and colleagues in the blogosphere about how difficult blogging is. In the interest of fairness, I thought I'd write a post about how great blogging has been for me. This is my 291st post, and it's far from my last.

KL

No comments: