Monday, August 14, 2006

Bad headlines and polls: The Muscatine Journal doesn't appear to have any clue on how to properly headline their articles and stories

I tried to write a longer headline, but Blogger cut it off.

I'm a journalism geek, so one of my first reads everyday is the front page of the Muscatine Journal, so I can laugh at poorly written, sometimes incoherent run-on sentence headlines.

Today there's two:

Not losing sight of what’s important: It may have taken some blood, sweat and tears, but several Wapello residents are learning to deal with - and form a new outlook on - vision problems

In it for the long haul: Athletic director may have 38 years of service under his belt, but that doesn’t mean he’s still not looking forward to retirement, too

Bear in mind, those aren't the first paragraphs of the stories, those are the headlines. My high school newspaper editors would have thrown me out of a second story window for that.

Also, at the bottom of the Journal's front page, there's a poll asking if you think Culver and Nussle need to debate. Go vote.

KL

1 comment:

Chris the Hippie said...

Once upon a time, a long, long time ago, I was the editor of my college newspaper. Every single week I found a typo in a headline... But my favorite goofed headline had to do with the Reverend Snake, a Native American minister, who was to speak at the campus' religious service. "Snake to Speak at Chapel," read my headline...