Thursday, August 24, 2006

Be prepared to adjust your acronyms:



Breaking news from Prague, via the QC Times: Pluto, the celestial body which is either just beyond or just inside Neptune, depending on when you ask, is no longer a planet. The cartoon dog of the same name will remain a cartoon dog.

In grade school, I was taught the following phrase to remember the planets:

My
Very
Educated
Mother
Just
Served
Us
Nine
Pizzas

I always thought nine pizzas seemed a little wasteful. Thankfully, science has stepped in and made that phrase obselete. Instead of NP, now we just have N. The two options that occured to me:

Nectarines
Nutmeg

Do you have any ideas?

KL

5 comments:

The Deplorable Old Bulldog said...

Now, I know I'm a conservative but how can our society have degenerated to the point of losing planets? Isn't that a lot of change for any given millenium?

Anonymous said...

"Pluto is automatically disqualified because its oblong orbit overlaps with Neptune's."

A friend asked this question: What about Neptune?

P.S.: If I go to klsnow.blogspot.com, I see nothing after the 8/21 post.

Kyle Lobner said...

I'm actually having that problem too, but when I refresh it goes away.

Must be a blogger thing.

KL

Chris the Hippie said...

I was hoping they'd upgrade us to 12 planets (adding Ceres, Charon and Xena) rather than downgrading us to 8... Oh well. I guess Kuiper Belt Objects and asteroids are simply KBO's and asteroids.

Anonymous said...

PICKLES!!

My
Very
Eager
Mother
Just
Served
Us
Nine
Pickles

Was the way we learned it in school