Tuesday, July 25, 2006

We're all for feeding the poor, just not here...

With Nicolai Brown on vacation, I guess it becomes my job to point out stories like this one in today's QC Times about two food pantries in downtown Davenport that are closing their doors.

Certainly some people will rail, as they always do, about the wastefulness of social programs and how people who need assistance are all just reaching out for handouts so they don't have to go back to work. But there are also lots of people who legitimately need programs like this, and Mississippi Valley Neighborhood Services' decision to evict one of their sources of help is borderline criminal.

KL

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

From the article:

"Gibson said the pantry used to receive $8,000 per year from Churches United and is now receiving $1,250."

The last time I checked www.costofwar.com, $1250 is equivalent to 0.43 seconds in Iraq.

Kyle Lobner said...

I'd be curious to see what, if anything, the local, state or federal governments were giving the shelter. Maybe tomorrow I'll make a phone call.

Anonymous said...

That's an interesting idea. I may try to do the same with a few organizations here in Ames.