Monday, September 18, 2006

Monday, September 18

I'm working from my desk at home instead of my desk at the office right now, so I'll have to get you today's holidays later today. Instead, I'll get right into the links:

Lynn is still working on her post on the Harkin Steak Fry, but while you're waiting for that, I'd encourage you to read John Deeth's three part coverage, the best analysis of the event I've seen so far.

In case you've forgotten, the West Des Moines School Board meeting where critics will complain about the vulgarity and gayness of "The Laramie Project" is tonight at 7 pm at the Learning Resource Center, 3550 Mills Civic Parkway in WDM. If you're coming, I'll see you there. If you're standing up in favor of free speech and acceptance, I'll be happy to see you there.

Ben Humphrey of Des Moines has a letter in the Register today about a film to be broadcast on British TV, where apparently the plot involves the assassination of President Bush:

The premise of this film is reprehensible and More4, the digital cable network airing the show, should know better than to give an outlet for such an irresponsible venture as a film that shows the assassination of a sitting president.


Where was Ben on Independence Day?



UPDATE: Or Mars Attacks?



Finally, the Register appears to have rounded up stories on all the fans who somehow missed parts of the game on Saturday due to technical difficulties. I actually missed most of the first quarter due to inattentiveness. The two employees at the bar where I was grabbing lunch took a cursory glance at the TV listings, decided the game wasn't on, and left CMT on a dozen TV's while the Hawkeye fans across the bar visibly shook with anger for most of the first quarter.

I left at halftime. It's true Iowa is home for me now, but I'm still a Badger fan. I got home in time to watch the end of their 14-0 victory over San Diego State, their third cupcake opponent in three weeks. Next week they go to Michigan for a likely wake-up call.

KL

1 comment:

The Deplorable Old Bulldog said...

I should have known, a loveable liberal would be one of Bucky's Tribe.

While KF, Godlike though he might be, will probably not match ol' John Hayden's 14 or 17 in a row against Bucky I think we are going for 5 in a row this year.