Friday, September 22, 2006

Friday, September 22 is...

Independence Day (Mali)
Native American Day (USA)

It's also my dad's birthday, so Dad, if you're reading this, happy birthday.

I'll start out today with some follow ups on things from yesterday:

Kay Henderson has more insight on the Harkin/Chavez comments from yesterday. From a Harkin statement issued later in the day:

"Yesterday's comments by President Hugo Chavez of Venezuela were incendiary and unworthy of a nation's leader. While I understand the frustrations of many in the international community because of George W. Bush's policies, I do not believe that gives them the right to come to our country and personally insult and attack the President of the United States. This is especially inappropriate at a forum such as the United Nations, dedicated to civil and peaceful dialogue among nations."


If he had said that in the first place, I'm not sure there would have been a problem.

Next, after my comments yesterday and Ed Fallon's email update which also went out yesterday, both John Deeth and Chris Woods have decided that Ed Fallon and I must be in some kind of planning stage to challenge Boswell in 2008, less than 60 days before 2006.

Let me be the first to assure you there's zero truth in that. First of all, I can assure you that Ed has zero interest in running for Congress. Chris Woods will endorse a Republican before he'd even consider it. We both talked about Boswell yesterday because we both saw the ad for the first time yesterday.

Speaking of people who aren't running for office, everyone, it's time for a sign of relief: Oprah is not running for president. The only way I could have voted for Oprah is if she was running against Dr. Phil.

Moving on, this might be my all time favorite post at Century of the Common Iowan. I'm not even going to tease it. Just go read it.

Finally, two related stories in this morning's Register: Despite over 750 signatures asking him to, Tom Vlassis still will not resign from the Des Moines City Council. Not that he's asked for my advice or probably will, but I can't imagine thinking the majority is behind you in the face of tremendous criticism over the mismanagement of a budget as big as CIETC's.

But, CIETC's problems really are nearing their completion. After all, soon it'll have a new name and we'll all go back to having no idea it exists.

KL

3 comments:

Jules said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm a Drake grad, so it's nice to connect to people from Des Moines. That city was good to me and I have a great respect for Iowans. Stop back again soon! :-)

Edukator said...

RE: the comments about Chavez insulting George Bush. I actually think it's totally ok. Not cause I agree but simply because I thought it was hillarious. What is this... kids running for student council?

The Deplorable Old Bulldog said...

I'll bet that clarification made Bahama Tommy's ass burn.

How can you get around this guy's history of supporting Marxist dictatorships?

Why don't you guys put Harkin out to pasture and run some decent guy like Rob Tully for Senate?