Saturday, June 30, 2012

June 28 and 29: A Step Forward, A Step Back

Doubling up on an update here because it's been a busy week.

It's been so busy, in fact, that twice this week I had to do my running after my normal bedtime (I like to be asleep by 11:30). Running that late just doesn't work out well for me: I'm usually tired when I start but by the time I get home, shower and get to bed it's typically an hour later and I'm wide awake.

Earlier this week I had a really bad night of sleep and it seems like it's compounded itself ever since. Smoke alarm batteries went dead in the middle of the night Monday night. Tuesday was fine, but both Wednesday and Thursday I ran after 11 and lost some sleep there.

I'm definitely noticing fatigue creep into my work. I've stumbled through some rough radio interviews this week because I can't concentrate. Laura had to drive so I could sleep in the car on the way to Friday's Brewer game. It might be the first time I've slept in a car in decades. It was my second daytime nap this week, which also might be a record.

So my one thing for Thursday was finding a way to get a run in, because it would've been easy to skip it and go to bed.

My one thing for Friday was...nothing. I failed yesterday. I didn't get much exercise, I ate like crap, I was a drain on Laura and I'm not really better off today in any way.

I could make excuses for it: As I mentioned above I've been running on short sleep all week. I also was pretty busy yesterday, having produced seven posts for BCB, gone out to lunch with a friend, driven to Milwaukee and back and attended a Brewer game. But excuses aren't the point. The goal is to find a way to do one thing better each day, and yesterday I didn't.

Did I exercise on Thursday? I burned off 460 calories on DDR and ran 1.2 miles.
Did I exercise on Friday? Not really, unless you want to count my one mile dog walk.

No comments: