Monday, August 29, 2005

Just a quick thought today, I need to get back to work:

I was paging through old news stories this morning about the Iowa Department of Economic Development (IDED) and the Iowa Values Fund (IVF), and I was bored. I decided the department and the program needed an acronym that fits what they're really doing.

My first thought was simple. I added "agriculture" to the formula and produced the Iowa Department of Economic and Agricultural Development, or IDEAD. Some people would say that sums up the problem nicely.

But then I remembered this quote from Mike Blouin, former head of the IDED, and also former head of the Greater Des Moines Partnership:

“Look beyond agrarian stereotypes of Iowa, acknowledge stereotypes with humor, and vigorously refute them.”

So I don't think agriculture really fits into his field at all.

I was ready for this challenge, though, and five post it notes later, I came up with this one:

Iowa's
Notion to
Create
Economic
Status
Through
Unnecessary
Actions and
Laws

How many businesses would needlessly extort taxpayer money if they had to do so by applying for an INCESTUAL grant?

My only problem with this new name: it's a bit of a misnomer. Through the Values Fund, Iowa isn't really screwing its sister. It's screwing itself.

KL

No comments: