Monday, November 27, 2006

Monday, November 27 is...

Onion Market (Bern, Switzerland)

From Wikipedia:

Zibelemärit - The Zibelemärit (onion market) is an annual fair held on the fourth Monday in November.
So, if you didn't finish your holiday shopping with the crazy people on Friday, I guess today you could buy some onions in Bern. If, of course, you live in Bern. You probably don't.

I haven't been sleeping much lately, which has more or less eliminated my need for an alarm. I could go to bed at 7:15 and I'd be up and wide awake sometime between 7:30 and 8. For whatever reason, though, today something was different and I slept until 8:30, meaning I accidentally lost an hour out of my only opportunity to get things done this week. So, I'm limiting myself to short reads today so I can go jump in the shower:

File this one under the heading "shocking news": Students who gain weight as freshmen often continue to gain weight as sophomores. Stay tuned for tomorrow's follow-up story: students who drink today are also likely to drink tomorrow.

On the terrible headline scale, this is almost off the charts: Wife killer opens taco stand. It's actually not a bad story, but it's a terrible open. I would guess most people who spend 20 years in prison don't come out and immediately contribute to society. James Klindt committed a terrible crime, but he's paid his debt to society and now he's making it on his own. I think that's both admirable and praiseworthy.

Of course, now that he's been in the paper, some asshole in Davenport will do their damnedest to get him shut down.

Nick Johnson's great coverage of the presidential search at the U of I continued through my absence, and yesterday he joined me in calling for Gartner's resignation. Hopefully Vilsack will put his boot squarely in the middle of Gartner's back in their meeting today.

Speaking of Nick Johnson, as a former commissioner of the FCC, I'm really curious what he thinks about the situation between Sinclair and Mediacom. I'll drop him an email and see if I can get his thoughts on it.

Finally, T.M. Lindsey, formerly known as Jimmy The Hustler of Nussle and Flow, has created a new blog, Political Fallout, which I've added to the links on your right. I think I was outspoken enough on my disapproval of Nussle and Flow, which I won't link from here, but this blog seems a little less personal and perhaps more useful.

KL

No comments: